The first most important decision is to have kids and then there are several small decisions to be made concerning them. However the second most crucial decision is deciding the school for them to enroll in. A right decision could put them on the path toward lifelong learning, a prestigious college, successful career and most importantly make them good human beings. A wrong school can shatter their future and also their growth. Well it is not about only these the most important concern of parents these days is the safety of their kids. Only in a safe and friendly environment we can send our kids to study, and rest assured.
When starting school for my little munchkin I kept the following factors in consideration:
1) The early years: Words, words and a bit more of words: The school you choose should be surrounded by words and words. Make sure that the school has a library and takes the kids to the library. The library should have books for their age and the readers read books to the kids and encourage them to read also. There should be storytelling sessions for the kids to encourage them to read.
2) Math cannot be an aftermath: The school that you select for your child should have mathematics concept from the beginning years itself. There is certain ability of innate maths in all of us from birth itself. Things like bigger than, smaller than, reinforcing numbers from the beginning should be done. This will help your child do have strong base of mathematics.
3) It is not all in the name: There is no colloquial designation that guarantees quality. The school with not that great infrastructure is also equally or even better than the school that has the latest infrastructure. Thus do proper research before selecting the school.
4) The fee structure: Education is becoming more and more expensive today, thus selecting the school that fits in your budget is highly essential. Sending to a fancy school that has high rates of fees and this puts a burden on your budget and make life stressful.
5) Safety: This is the biggest and the most crucial factor that will decide the entire decision of school selection. The students should be provided with utmost secure environment in the school premises and once they leave the school to reach their homes. Any person with criminal record or no proper identity proof should be not employed in the school. The school should be covered with CCTV camera. This is the biggest hurdle from preventing any misbehavior or breach of security . The school should have a very safe environment for the kids.
6) Proximity from your house: It is a wise decision to put your child in a school that is nearest to your home. Sending your child to a school near your house will be comfortable as travelling the distance will not exert the child and in case if there is a need for you to go to the school it will be comfortable for you.
7) Extra curricular activities: All studies and no play will make the child very dull. The school should have curriculum that has equal importance for studies and games or any other recreational activities. Craft, games, sports, dance, story telling, pottery, music, vocals etc should also have equal importance in the curriculum.
8) Values the school instill : Character building is of equal importance. A society or country as a whole does not requires only sharp and intelligent kids but also requires kids who will be responsible citizens of future. Instilling good values like honesty, humility, responsibility, respect for elders, love for fellow beings, kindness, grace, helpfulness, value of money and many more such virtues. The child should be taught to value money and avoid any sort of wastage or show off of money. Without character building or moral understanding a person can never succeed in life or be happy in its true sense. Watch out for school that focuses on this aspect also. We need kids who are fit morally for the future.
9) Opt for a school not pressure cooker: Grades, exams, competition all are essential but in a healthy way. Too much of pressure on the kids is not a good thing. The school should be a learning center, paving way for golden future of kids, and giving them best of the memories for life, but putting too much of pressure on kids is not a good thing to be done. The child should be prepared for the challenges of life and sessions with counselor should be available in school. The child should be made emotionally strong to pass the examination of life.
10) Discipline: In school life discipline plays very important role to shape our kids, kids learn the value of time and things in school as if they not reach school on time or if they are in incomplete uniform they know that they will get punished. This small punishments give them a lesson which they remember throughout their life and help them to be punctual.
“The above were a few points to be considered before selecting a school for your little sun shine so that the aura of child shines above all”.