Sarson ka saag
Hello friends, As winter has arrived vegatable markets are flooded with green vegetables .It’s the best thing which i love in winter ; it reminds me of my childhood days where my mom used to sit in garden area in the soft winter sunshine to clean the green leafy vegetables which she made for us in lunch or dinner ,like every child i have so many tantrums for eating green veggies but every time she made it in different way to give an interesting twist . Today i am going to make one of my mom’s favourite recipe that is SARSON KA SAAG .It’s a typical delicious vegetarian recipe of North India, It’s english translation will be MUSTARD GREENS as Sarson means mustard in english and saag means greens. This saag is uniquely bitter in taste but when it is cooked up with a blend of spices like ginger,garlic its bitterness fades away; this saag is very tasty and complements best with makke ki roti… so lets make it but before going to the recipe check out the health benefits of Sarson-
- Rich in anti-oxidants
- Rich in fibre
- Prevents cancer
- Helpful in weight loss
- Full of minerals and vitamins
- Controls cholestrol
- Improves mental health
- Good for eyesight
preparation time- 15 min
cooking time-20 mins
So,lets start making SARSON KA SAAG for that ingredients I need are
- Sarson leafs- 500 gms
- spinach leaves-250 gns
- tomatoes -2
- green chillies-4
- cumin seeds-1 tbsp
- hing- 2 pinch
- ghee/oil- 4 tbsp
- onion-1 medium size
- garlic cloves- 4-5
- ginger- 1 inch small piece
- chilli powder-1/2 tbsp
- corriander powder-1/2 tbsp
- turmeric powder-1/4 tbsp
- garam masala-1/2 tbsp
- salt to taste
- lemon juice-1/2 tbsp (optional)
- maize floor-2 tbsp
- butter cube-2
- clean sarson and spinach leaves,wash them twice with water and chop roughly.
- put the leaves in a pressure cooker and add 1/2 cup water,take 3-4 whistles than put the gas off and let it cool.
- blend the cooked leaves in mixer and make a smooth paste.
- make a paste of ginger,garlic, onion and green chilies together and chop the tomatoes finely.
- put a pan on the gas flame and add ghee or oil in which you want to cook ,once it warm add cumin seeds, hing , ginger,garlic and onion paste cook it on low flame till it changes its color.(light brown)
- now add corriander powder,chilli powder, turmeric powder mix well and cook for a minute.
- add chopped tomatoes and fry on low flame till all masala separates from oil.
- Add the green vegetable puree in the cooked masala and mix well add salt, garam masala, lemon juice and water (if needed).
- cover it and cook for 8-10 minutes so that all the spices mix well with the vegetable.
- Delicious sarson ka saag is ready.
- serve hot with a piece of butter or desi ghee.