For the last complete week, Delhi and NCR faced severe level of air pollution; this recent spike in worsening in ambient atmosphere has led to many speculations about adverse health effects. The recent reports and news articles also shows point of worry as the PM 2.5 levels in Delhi shot up to 999 micrograms, far above the recommended level.
Air pollution is contamination environment by any chemical, physical or biological cause that mixed-up with the air and change natural characteristics of the atmosphere. It happens when the above harmful substances bring together into the atmosphere.
Household combustion devices, motor vehicles, industrial plants, construction sites and fire are common sources of air pollution. Pollutants of major public health concern include particulate matter and harmful gases. This air pollution can cause breathing problem, asthma, respiratory and other diseases, which could have serious impact on our health.
The health impact of the smog is dependent on multiple factors, like person’s present health, severity of air pollution and time of exposure.
Kids, old people and people with prevailing health conditions are generally more susceptible. A little exposure to air pollutants affects health, sometimes leading to severe signs.
Long term exposure increases the risk of respiratory and heart disease. Health effects of short term exposure often include itching and running nose, sore throat, cough or asthma attacks.
Here are some basic recommendations you should consider:
- Reduce time spent outdoors to a necessary minimum.
- Regular use of mask with specifications N95 (and above) when going outdoor, N95 masks are cost effective, and permit only 5% of all particulate matter to pass through while allowing you to breathe. The better ones come with breathing valves to allow you to breathe freely as well.
- Drink sufficient amount of water, fruit and vegetable juice.
- Keep your rooms closed, windows and doors should be kept shut, if not needed.
- Avoid physical outdoor activities
Have a good health !!